Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Countdown to Cancellation

Countdown just isn't working out for me. For all that I enjoyed 52, I certainly wanted it to. I've given it 14 issues now, however, and it still isn't clicking, so I think that's enough. I've actually removed it from my weekly lists in various discussion forums, but have failed to make the change to my pull list at the comic shop. That changes today, however, as the book is officially pulled from my list.

The biggest problem for me is that too much of the book is given over to fleeting glimpses of events occurring around the DC Universe. I understand the logic behind device: in the stated goal of the series to serve as a spine for the DCU books for the coming year, it gives readers a look around at events important to the eventual 2008 big crossover. However, these glimpses often glaringly contradict the events in the books for which they are considered home. Ostensibly they are shown in Countdown to round out the important events for readers not following the "home" titles, but at times they never receive closure in Countdown leading to narrative discontinuity. It would be far better if Countdown formed a backbone storyline for the DC Universe with everything tied up neatly in Countdown, allowing the monthlies to tie into events when it makes sense to demonstrate the far reaching implications.

One of the most problematic storylines running through Countdown is the search for Ray Palmer, which involves Donna Troy, Jason Todd (who I guess at this point has dropped the hood from his "Red Hood" disguise so I guess he's just the "Red Mask" now?), and current Atom Ryan Choi. The story is billed as an important one, developmentally, for the DCU. The problem is that it's occurring in both Countdown and All-New Atom. With entirely different events. At a completely different pace. Maybe it's working for some, but it isn't for me. So as of now Countdown is dropped and I'm officially adding Booster Gold, Brave and the Bold, and Flash to my pull list.

Booster Gold is a welcome return. Booster was a favorite of mine as a kid and well into my teens as part of the Giffen Justice League. He was mishandled terribly in the 90's, but after a rough ride last year in 52 through some dubious moments, I think it's time for the Goldstar to shine again under the guidance of Geoff Johns and Dan Jurgens, Booster's creator.

As excited as I am for Booster to be back in the spotlight, I'm also ecstatic by the creative team leading it. Geoff Johns rarely goes astray. His DC books of the last few years have been some of my favorites of all time. His run on Justice Society is unmatched, his Teen Titans were as definitive as the Wolfman/Perez years, and his work on Green Lantern has been a renaissance. I have no doubt in my mind that his Booster will be of similar quality.

By contrast, Dan Jurgens has been something of an unknown quantity over the last few years, at least for me. The highest profile work he's done has been the History of the DCU back in 52, and the History of the Multiverse backup in Countdown. I do count this as a negative against him… only by virtue of the fact that I hold him in high regard as an artist. Jurgens is a remarkable representation of the superhero illustration classicist. His figure work is dramatic, his lines are clean, his anatomy is solid, and his backgrounds are anything but neglected. I'm very happy he's not only on a monthly book, not only on a monthly book that I want to read, but he's on a monthly book that I want to read about a favorite character which he created, written by a man I consider to be, perhaps, the best new comics writer of the last decade. I really couldn't ask for much more.

Rounding out the additions: Brave and the Bold I've been buying since it first started four or five months back and for some reason never got around to putting it in the list. Waid and Perez's BATB feels like every good DC comic I've ever read rolled into one. Classic comics in a modern format. Love love love. However, Waid's return to Flash in #231 has me a little on the cautious side.

The basic concept is that Wally West, the third man to bear the Flash name, returns with his family to the DCU after what was apparently about 10 years in some alternate dimension. Does anyone see the immediate problem readers might have? Many people hold the aging of previous Kid Flash Bart Allen to the twenty year old Flash (only to then kill him off at the end of a year when it wasn't working) as the biggest mistake DC comics has made recently. When last we saw Wally the kids were infants, now they are preteens. The implementation of the son's abilities has me the most doubtful – he can temporarily accelerate myofibril hypertrophy in his body (his muscles get big). It can look a tad ridiculous. Still though, Waid has a proven track record, so I remain optimistic. Acuna is definitely a rising star as well, but I think his style is better suited to special projects than a monthly periodical. I look forward to this continuation of the Flash, though, and if nothing else it will be interesting.

No comments: