Friday, May 4, 2007

EA's "skate." demos new stick-flick controls.

For my inaugural posting I direct you to this GameVidoes-hosted presentation of the analog stick control scheme implemented in EA's upcoming skateboarding game "skate." Yes, just like that, no capitals and with a period. Expressive of the games rejection of the fantastical trappings of the older Tony Hawk games, EA tells us to leave behind infinite combos strung together by ridiculously long manuals and simply "skate." Appropriate for a game that intends to strip away the nonsense and bring a graphical exploration of the technical aspects of skateboarding to the living room.




Keep in mind I've not played Tony Hawk's Project 8, and may eventually. I appreciated the ideas behind the 'nail the trick' functions and isn't entirely unlike the ideas behind the entire framework of "skate." But the philosophies behind the game are mutually exclusive approaches to the sport. For now, my faith is placed in "skate." for a renewal of my love of video-game skateboarding.

No comments: