Friday, June 4, 2010

Trimming the List

I'm facing some tough decisions.  Comic prices are outpacing inflation, by a large margin, which is also outpacing my salary.  It's time to start taking a look at my pull list because something HAS to go; but I'm setting no requirements, and no limits - everything will be judged.  The looming new standard of four dollars for the standard 22 page comicbook story is prompting me to carefully consider my pull list and make some cuts. 
 
The first defendants are the Superman books for the simple reason that it's the largest group of books on my list. 
 
My history with the world's most famous superhero is fraught with periods of intense devotion and unapologetic scorn.  One of my favorite comic runs of all time remains the "Panic in the Sky" storyline running through the Superman titles for three months in the early 90's.  As much as I continue to love that run, I dropped the books the month after it ended and barely touched the line until the Death of Superman story several years later.  Recently Geoff Johns' shepherding of the Superman books prompted their return to my monthly purchases.  The introduction of a more classic version of the Legion of Super-heroes and the reincorporation of Superman into their mythos was appealing on many levels... but since his departure the books have again become stale. 
 
Why am I hanging on to them now?  Likely out of the dangling plot lines continuing to run from Johns' tenure.  The New Krypton plot is past its expiration date, and the LOSH angle appears to be resolved finally in the latest issues with Mon-el going to the 31st Century (more on that later) following Brainiac's assault on New Krypton.  OK, no need to keep them around.  With the end of War of the Supermen, I'm out.  There goes Action, Superman, Supergirl and the rotating mini series that have come to account for another monthly or two in the budget. I think I can honestly say I'm not going to miss it for a while.
 
That was liberating.  Up next is a slightly tougher bit of jerky - Batman...

Posted via email from Newtronika

No comments: