Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Trimming the List Part 4 - Green Lantern

Ok, I know I said that no title was safe, but getting down to today's subject(s), I can admit that was a lie (though mostly to myself which is a bit more forgivable).  The Green Lantern books are currently the gold standard for tightly plotted epic storylines in comics.
 
Things didn't look so great for a few months in 2006 with Geoff Johns concentrating on Infinite Crisis, though.  While the Hal Jordan revival began amazingly well with 2004's Green Lantern: Rebirth, the following Green Lantern monthly began to falter in the late single digits.  I worried that perhaps Johns was preparing to move on as he had with Teen Titans.  At this point though it's obvious to any comic reader paying attention that I was wrong.  Following Infinite Crisis, Johns began laying the groundwork that lead us to the recently concluded Blackest Night and the recently begun Brightest Day.
 
Green Lantern continues to be a very strong book in the wake of Blackest Night.  Clearly Johns' vision for Green Lantern did not end with Blackest Night, and I have my doubts that it's going to end with Brightest Day.  I'm a little iffy on picking up Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors, starring Guy Gardner and Ganthet, when it begins in August.  As much as I love both GL and GLC, I don't really feel like I need a third monthly Green Lantern title on top Brightest Day which is bimonthly.
 
While not specifically a Green Lantern book, Brightest Day is inextricably bound to that corner of the DC Universe.  The story deals as much with the characters resurrected at the end of Blackest Night as it does any Lantern.  Why would I even consider not continuing with it?  Granted it's a bimonthly, but it only lasts for twelve months, and it's helmed by Johns and builds on everything he's done with Green Lantern since Rebirth.  Brightest Day is a lock. 
 
Obviously had I thought about my statement in the first post in this series, I never would have said nothing was safe.  Johns has never let me down (except for when he's left comics), and his Green Lantern books have been exemplary.  I look forward to this saga continuing for a long time. 
 
 

Posted via email from Newtronika

No comments: